Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Did Someone Say Baguette?

My very first epi.

I never knew what an epi was, let alone what one looked like, until I browsed the pages of the book Modern Cafe. The simple snips of scissors can transform a typical long and slender baguette into a beautiful wheat stalk shaped loaf known as an epi. Thank you, Francisco Migoya.

This was much more beautiful in person.

I did my best not to tamper with the dough much after the initial mixing-kneading process, taking care not to add too much flour or handle it rougher than necessary. I certainly wanted those air pockets and I'll be the first to admit that I've definitely beaten the best out of a dough.

Hole-riddled insides.

I have to say I'm pretty proud of this bread.

1 comment:

  1. When we go to Honolulu, Will and I always stop by the amazing French-Japanese bakery at the mall and get Jesuites and bacon epi. Jesuites are breakfast, and the bacon epi is a great lunch with some cheese and fruit juice on the beach. The bacon is in little chunks, just enough to make the bread really delicious. MM.

    ReplyDelete