I altered the summer berry recipe at besthealthmag.ca and I have a feeling that substituting yogurt for milk might have been my error, causing the baking powder to react and die before heading to the oven. Plus, the baking time just wasn't enough as listed or even with five extra minutes. Otherwise, this could have been nice!
Adapted from besthealthmag.ca
Yields 9-10 small-medium muffins
2 T unsalted butter
1/4 C brown sugar, packed
1 T muscovado sugar
3/4 C european (or Greek) yogurt*
1/4 C water*
1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/3 C oats
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
2/3-3/4 C blueberries, fresh or frozen
*Your muffins will probably come out better if you just use 1 C milk like in the original recipe, just sayin'
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Brown the butter in a small pot over medium-low heat.
- Remove pot from heat and add the sugars, whisking into a thick paste.
- Add the yogurt and water (or milk, advisably) and whisk smooth.
- Add the egg and whisk until thoroughly mixed and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk lightly to combine.
- Pour the wet mix over the dry mix and fold until nearly mixed.
- Add the blueberries and fold in until just combined.
- Divide between 9-10 paper-lined or greased cupcake tins.
- Bake 25-35 minutes.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in the tins and then remove to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy (hopefully)!
Blueberry Muffin Reflections
I'm pretty sure the yogurt and baking powder reacted in a terrible way, making the muffins lack their characteristic muffin top. They were entirely flat. So, perhaps just stick with the milk, and save yourself some tears wasted muffin ingredients.
Flavor wise, these are decent. Nothing to write home about, but I rarely meet blueberry muffins that are. On the positive side, these are pretty fiber rich, so happy digestion!
The muffins remaining after my initial attempt to eat my shame mercifully made their way into the garbage before any photos could be taken. Don't worry folks, you'll have plenty of pretty things to look at soon, including some updated molten chocolate cake (see nearly molten cake) and fabulous Smitten Kitchen adapted pizza.