Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Readers' Choice: Coconut Macaroons


Coconut macaroons are easier than you think!

Thanks again to everyone that voted (all eight of you). I sort of wonder why you picked what you did; not because it's weird or anything, I'm just curious. Is it because macaroons seem like a challenge? Do you just like coconut? Are they your favorite sweet fix?

Step 1: frothing the egg whites.

I just ate two of them right after doing some final photos, so my reason for making them (other than baking democracy) would be that they're tasty. I'm not going to lie, I have made them before. But! This prior experience does not mean that they aren't just as easy as I'm telling you they are. They're just about as easy as (eating) pie (because making pie can pose a challenge every now and then).

Step 4: filling the macaroons with white chocolate and hazelnuts. Optional, but delicious.

I take my cues from Lulu & Phoebe for coconut macaroons. Happy news for people sensitive to gluten: these are gluten free! Hooray!

Steps 5 and 6: it's okay to crowd them, they won't spread into each other, just make sure they have 30 minutes to dry a bit before heading into the oven.

Coconut Macaroons
Adapted from Lulu & Phoebe


Yields 12 macaroons


1 1/2 C (115g)  mixed sweetened and unsweetened coconut (I do half and half by mass)
1/3 C (65g)  caster sugar
2  egg whites
pinch of salt
1 tsp  vanilla
1/4 tsp  almond extract
24  white chocolate chips (optional)
12  hazelnuts (optional)
3 oz. (85g)  dark or white chocolate (optional)

  1. Gently froth the egg whites and salt (no more than a minute of whisking).
  2. Mix in the sugar, extracts, and salt.
  3. Mix in the coconut.
  4. Line a tablespoon with macaroon mix, place a nut and 2 chocolate chips inside, and fill with more macaroon mix (or leave out the nuts and chocolate and go straight up coconut macaroon).
  5. Give the tablespoon a good whack onto a silicone mat (or parchment) lined baking pan and shape the dome a little by hand if it comes apart. You can pack them pretty close on the sheet since they don't spread.
  6. Let them sit for 30 minutes at room temperature to dry a little.
  7. Heat the oven to 325 F (160 C).
  8. Bake macaroons for 15-25 minutes, until they're as golden as you like.
  9. Cool on sheet for about 5-10 minutes (until cool enough to touch) and then remove to a rack to cool completely.
  10. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and drizzle over cooled macaroons (ooor not, if you don't feel like it).
  11. Enjoy!
Coconut Macaroon Reflections

I like mine lightly toasted, but you might prefer them snowy white or even deeper brown. These were in the oven about 17 minutes.

When I first tried the raw macaroon mix, I thought it was way too sweet. I trudged around while they baked, thinking they were ruined before they even made it to the oven. The Resident Taste Tester gave them a try after they were baked and said they could actually be sweeter. I popped one in my mouth, and was pleasantly surprised: not too sweet at all! I felt they were lovely with just that much sweetness, but the Resident Taste Tester suggested a little more sugar next time.

I thought they might be too dry when I had them straight out of the oven. The following morning, after having a sleep in a tin container, they were juuust right. I don't think I'd want them any more moist.

I've had these without the hazelnuts and white chocolate and with just the dark chocolate drizzle. Both options are delightful, though if you can manage to cram another chip or two inside, the white chocolate would read better.

Thanks again for voting, folks! It actually makes me smile when you visit my blog and leave evidence. For the three of you rooting for the parmesan pretzels, don't you worry, a batch is going in the oven tonight!


2 comments:

  1. I like macaroons with their tops dipped in dark chocolate and an almond on top. That way, they're like fancier almond joys. I only ever make these for Christmas and Easter, but maybe I'll make some the next time I go to a party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum and more yum! Do you have any thoughts on white chocolate that melts well for drizzling and dipping without any add-ins?

    ReplyDelete