I'd been searching for a from-scratch yellow cake recipe and stumbled upon this one at Smitten Kitchen. I altered it slightly, so check the link for the original.
This recipe delivers a moist yellow cake, as promised. The frosting is the Hershey's cocoa back-of-the-box recipe I have always relied on with slightly more milk. The substitution of milk and lemon juice for buttermilk gives the cupcakes a hint of citrus, which I wouldn't mind pumping up for full on lemon cupcakes in the future. As always, do not over mix.
Chocolate Chip Yellow Cake Cupcakes
yields approximately 24 cupcakes or 12 large cupcakes
1C minus 1 T milk
1 T lemon juice
2 C cake flour1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C (1 stick) salted butter, softened
1 C sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Mix milk and lemon juice in a cup and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Whisk vanilla into butter-sugar mix until fluffy.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time.
- Alternately fold in curdled milk and dry mix in 3 additions, ending with the last of the dry mix and chocolate chips. Fold until just blended.
- Spoon batter into lined cupcake tins (fill cups about 2/3 full).
- Bake 16-20 minutes (test for doneness with a toothpick; if you stab a cake and it comes out clean, it's done).
- Remove from tins and cool on rack.
Simple Chocolate Frosting
yields approximately 1 C of frosting
1/4 C (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1/3 C cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
3 T milk, more as needed
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk butter and cocoa together.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, whisking thoroughly and ending with a milk addition.
- Whisk in vanilla.